FAQ - Michigan Humane Society


Frequently Asked Questions


How do I change my email address on file?
To keep your online information safe, michiganhumane.org will not update an email address resulting from an emailed request.  If you would like to update your contact information or change your email preferences, please follow these easy steps:

      1. In the top banner, click on the “Log In” button
      2. Type in your username and password where prompted, which will take you back to the MHS home page
      3. Once logged in, at the top of any page, click on “Edit Account”
      4. Make any changes you need to make, then click “Save”

You might need access to your old email account if you cannot remember your password.  If you do not have access to your old email account, we recommend registering a new account with your new email address.

What is the mission of the Michigan Humane Society?
The mission of the Michigan Humane Society (MHS) is to provide the highest quality service and compassion to the animals entrusted to our care, to measurably reduce companion animal overpopulation and to take a leadership role in promoting humane values for the benefit of all animals.

Do all humane societies within the state fall under the direction of the Michigan Humane Society?
The Michigan Humane Society (MHS) operates three centers for animal care, each comprising an adoption center and veterinary center, in Detroit, Rochester Hills and Westland. The Michigan Humane Society's administrative office is located in Bingham Farms. Other humane organizations around the state operate separately and independently from the Michigan Humane Society.

Is Michigan Humane Society funded by tax dollars?
The Michigan Humane Society receives no federal or state funding, nor do we receive funding from any national humane organizations. We rely on private donations from individuals, corporations and foundations.

What services does the Michigan Humane Society provide?
The Michigan Humane Society provides a wide variety of services including: animal sheltering and placement; lost and found; veterinary services; animal cruelty investigation and emergency rescue; humane educationlegislative advocacy; pet behavior and more. We also provide helpful handouts on a variety of topics including >pet health and safety, behavior and training and wildlife issues.

What kinds of animals does Michigan Humane Society help?
The Michigan Humane Society's primary focus is companion animals such as dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, rats, ferrets, birds and other pets. However, we are often called upon to help with injured wild animals, displaced exotic animals, or livestock. Resources determine the extent to which we can help in these situations, but we try to provide helpful information and assistance as we can.

How can I help?
Monetary donations can be made online through our secure website, by phone or mail to our administrative office in Bingham Farms, or by electronic fund transfers on credit cards or through your banking institution. If you are interested in remembering the animals in your will, we are happy to send you information for wills and bequests to benefit the Michigan Humane Society. You can call 248.283.1000 and ask for further information.

Fundraising events are another way to help the animals in our care. For information on hosting a "Casual for a Cause" event at your workplace or on other types of office, individual or group fundraisers, please call 248.283.1000.

MHS has many volunteer opportunities available at each of our three centers for animal care as well as at special events. Just a few options include participating in the in-shelter training of dogs and cats, in-home short-term fostering of sick or injured animals, or helping with set-up and adoptions at special events. You may print a volunteer application from this web site.

We welcome donations of dog and cat food, treats, toys, used towels and blankets, clay cat litter, pet carriers and office supplies. We invite you to check this web site for a detailed "Wish List" of items needed at each MHS location.

How do I report animal cruelty?
To report animal cruelty in Detroit, Hamtramck or Highland Park, please call the Michigan Humane Society's Cruelty Hotline at 313.872.3401. A voice mail message may be left after hours. You can remain anonymous, but please be specific and try to provide as much information as possible regarding the type of animal, street address, and the situation. Your phone number would be helpful in order for us to contact you in case we need additional information. The Cruelty Investigation Department operates Monday through Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. In other areas, please contact your local animal control or police immediately to report animal cruelty or neglect.

How do I report an injured stray or wild animal?
The Michigan Humane Society’s Emergency Rescue Department comes to the aid of thousands of injured animals each year in Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park. To report an injured animal or animals in imminent danger, call our Emergency Rescue Hotline at (313) 872-0026, 365 days a year, from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. In other cities or to report stray animals, please contact your designated animal control or police department.

For injured wildlife, you may also reference your local phone directory or the "Wildlife" section of our website for local licensed wild animal rehabilitators.

For non-emergency wildlife questions, please call the Michigan Humane Society Wildlife Department, based at the MHS Rochester Hills Center for Animal Care, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 248.852.7420, ext. 224.

Many cities within the metro Detroit area provide animal control services. To report a stray dog, please call your local animal control office or police department. If you find and begin to house a stray animal, Michigan law requires that you report it to the police department of the city in which you are holding the animal within 48 hours.

If you live in Macomb County, please call Macomb County Animal Control regarding stray animals. If you live in Oakland County, call Oakland County Animal Care and Control. In the city of Detroit, please contact Detroit Animal Control. In Western Wayne County, please contact your city or township to discern the appropriately designated animal care facility. It is best to call the location in your area before bringing in a stray animal to determine if that is the appropriate place to take the lost pet, to give him or her the best chance to be found by his or her owner.

Surrendering a Pet
If you are unable to rehome your pet with a trusted friend or relative who could provide a permanent, loving home, the Michigan Humane Society’s three centers for animal care have an open door policy and are an option for you. For more information about surrendering pets to MHS, please visit the following link: http://www.michiganhumane.org/pet-care/pet-parenting/surrender-animal.html

While our goal is to rehome as many pets as possible, while also working to end pet overpopulation and homelessness, we cannot guarantee placement.  The placement of a pet for adoption is based on an assessment of the pet’s health and temperament, as well as available cage space. Once a pet is offered for adoption, there is no time limit in which he or she can remain up for adoption.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at 1.866.MHUMANE.

Surrendered Animal Status
The Michigan Humane Society cares for tens of thousands of animals each year at its three centers for animal care in Detroit, Rochester Hills and Westland. MHS hopes that the decision to surrender a pet is made only after exercising other possible options such as rehoming the pet carefully with a trusted friend or family member. If you do decide to transfer ownership of your pet to MHS, please know that MHS works very hard to find a new home for every animal that meets our adoption standards; in fact in 2010 we reached 100% adoption of all healthy animals.  However, please know that MHS cannot guarantee placement and surrendering  an animal is a final decision, and as such we cannot provide a final status of your surrendered pet (see Surrendering a Pet). 

How do I adopt an animal from Michigan Humane Society?
The Michigan Humane Society requires potential adopters to fill out a questionnaire at the adoption center once they see an animal in which they are interested. As we strive for permanent homes for the animals in our care, trained adoption counselors will assist adopters in selecting an animal that fits their lifestyle. We invite you to visit one of our three adoption centers and let our adoption counselors answer your questions about breed characteristics, temperament and any particular adoptable animals' history. MHS adoption centers are open 6 days a week (except major holidays). To "meet' pets online before visiting an adoption center, click here and go to our online pet search for detailed information and photos for many of our wonderful available pets!

What does it cost to adopt a pet from the Michigan Humane Society?
The Michigan Humane Society's valuable adoption package includes sterilization (spaying or neutering), age-appropriate vaccinations, a medical check-up, behavioral evaluation, and a heartworm test for dogs. All feline adoptions also include free microchipping. We invite you to visit one of our three adoption centers in Detroit, Rochester Hills and Westland. Each animal available for adoption has an information card that will indicate what we know about the animal's history as well as the adoption fee for that particular animal.

How long does the Michigan Humane Society keep animals up for adoption?
The Michigan Humane Society will hold an animal for adoption for as long as he or she remains healthy. MHS does not use a time limit to determine if an animal remains up for adoption.